Paul Bouvot (French, 1922 – 2000)
Like his compatriot and mentor, the photographer Jacques-Henri Lartigue, Paul Bouvot grew up around Bugattis and developed a passionate relationship with the automobile from early childhood.
In the 1950’s he succeeded Henri Thomas as head of Peugeot’s carrosserie d’automobile, and established a dedicated styling and design office within the company.
Sergio Pininfarina introduced him to the joy of Ferrari’s, and in the early 1960’s Bouvot bought his first, a 250 GT California Spyder, first owned by Brigitte Bardot.
The 1950’s and 1960’s saw Bouvot develop his mastery of pencil drawing, learning the techniques of charcoal and red chalk. As his style evolved, his evocative pictorial work was destined to become highly sought-after by collectors of Automobile Art, on the rare occasions it became available. Bouvot became a full time artist following his retirement in 1980, and developed an enthusiastic following amongst serious collectors throughout Europe and The United States. His greatest patron, arguably, is Pierre Bardinon, the legendary Ferrari collector whose Mas de Clos estate and museum in France is a mecca for lovers of the Cavallino Rampante. Bardinon constructed a wing of the museum, and in his own words, consecrated it to the work of Paul Bouvot – praise indeed!
All images and text copyright © Pullman Gallery Ltd. 2021