Circuito Automobilistico Alessandria, 1924
Price Code: £££££
Attr. Achille Locatelli (Italian, 1864 – 1948)
A large and important bronze and marble trophy awarded for victory at the famous motor race at Alessandria, located about 50 miles from Turin, which commenced that year. This imposing trophy depicts three well-detailed bronze Goddesses each holding a symbol of speed (Velocità), mounted on a massive verde antico marble plinth bearing the title and winners of the trophy. Also present are enamelled plaques showing the symbol of the circuit and the Coat of Arms of Milan.
This inaugural race was won by Domenico Masina driving a FIAT 501s. The circuit was later renamed Circuito Bordino in 1929 in honour of racing driver Pietro Bordino who perished in practice for the previous year’s event. Signed LOCATELLI in the bronze.
Height overall: 24 inches (61 cm)
Size of base: 13 inches (33 cm) square
Shown left are some period photographs taken from publicity material produced by FIAT to promote the trophy and the event. These documents accompany the bronze.
All images and text copyright © Pullman Gallery Ltd. 2021